Constituencies challenge ABC conference

Constituencies challenge ABC conference

MASERU – TWO All Basotho Convention (ABC) constituency committees have filed an urgent application in the High Court challenging a party conference slated for tomorrow.
Molati Putsoane, chairman of Qaqatu constituency and Sefali Mohlaoli, secretary general of Hloahloeng constituency, have moved to block the conference. Both constituencies are in Mohale’s Hoek district.
Outgoing ABC secretary-general, Samonyane Ntsekele, has called for the conference to take place at Lehakoe.
The applicants’ lawyer, Advocate Patsa Mohapi, argued that the ABC called for the conference without properly communicating with the constituency committees.

In court papers, Advocate Mohapi said if the conference proceeds, the constituencies chaired by his clients would not be represented and they stand to suffer prejudice.
He said there is still a matter pending before the High Court in which the court is yet to determine the proper identity of the National Executive Committee of the ABC.
While the matter is pending, no conference can be called in good faith without undermining the rights of other interested parties, the court heard.

Advocate Mohapi called on the ABC, Ntsekele and the ABC NEC to show cause why the High Court rules as to form and notice, should not be dispensed with on account of urgency.
He pleaded with the court that “the respondents should be interdicted or restrained from holding, making preparations for and facilitating the holding of and preparation of the emergency conference of ABC scheduled for June 14, 2019 pending finalisation”.
Further, the court should declare that the calling of the emergency conference and all preparatory processes related thereto as null and void.

They further pleaded with the court to declare that the ABC and its leadership should not call the conference or make substantial changes to the structure and substance of the ABC and all its internal structures.
In his founding affidavit, Putsoane said there is a matter pending before the High Court in which it has to determine the proper identity or membership in terms of personnel of ABC NEC.
Putsoane said since February 13, the newly elected NEC has since been interdicted from assuming duties in terms of the outcome of the elective conference and the old executive committee ordered to hold the fort pending finalisation of the matter.

He told the court that while their focus was still on the case already before the court, he was shocked when the secretary of his branch committee approached him and asked why the constituency committee has not called branches in preparation for delegates for a special ABC conference.
He said he learned that there had been a circular from head office from the office of secretary general to that effect.
The court heard that Putsoane conducted a short investigation into the matter where he indeed discovered there was an emergency conference scheduled for tomorrow.

Itumeleng Khoete

 

Previous Hants’i charged
Next Nedbank Lesotho shines

Warning: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable in /home/thepostc/public_html/wp-content/themes/trendyblog-theme/includes/single/post-tags-categories.php on line 7

About author

You might also like

News

DDPR says Tšepong strike unlawful

MASERU-THE Directorate of Dispute Prevention and Resolution (DDPR) says the strike by Queen ’Mamohato Memorial Hospital nurses is unlawful.The DDPR also says Tšepong, the company that manages the hospital, “has

News

Lawyers fight in Chief Justice’s corner

MASERU – FOUR senior lawyers have written to the Law Society of Lesotho asking it to defend Chief Justice Nthomeng Majara who they say has come under a barrage of attacks

Local News

Leposa to march over salary hike

MASERU – THE Lesotho Police Staff Association (Leposa) says police officers are yet to receive their six percent salary increase. On Tuesday Leposa will stage protest march to pressure Acting