Search for trio thrown in dam continues

Search for trio thrown in dam continues

HA-MOHALE – THE search for the bodies of three men who are suspected to have been murdered by eight soldiers and dumped into Mohale Dam continues today. South African police divers started the search on Monday with preliminary checks. The divers used sniffer dogs to help in ascertaining the exact spot where the bodies are. Their search on Tuesday was not successful.

They could not continue yesterday due to bad weather, according police spokesman Inspector Mpiti Mopeli. Meanwhile, the Lesotho Defence Force (LDF) has distanced itself from the eight soldiers who are facing charges of killing the three men.
In a statement last Thursday army spokesman, Brigadier Ntlele Ntoi, said the “LDF Command disassociates itself and LDF as a whole with the alleged murder”. “The command wishes to inform the Basotho nation that, though the suspects are members of the LDF, the alleged conducts were not sanctioned by the LDF Command,” Ntoi said.

“Besides, the Command never knew about the incident,” he said. “The LDF Command further wishes to inform the nation that the Lesotho Mounted Police Service (LMPS), with the assistance of the LDF, is continuing with the investigation into this matter.”

South African police divers arrived in the country this week to help with the search for the bodies in Mohale dam.
Their first search on Tuesday was not successful. The search is expected to continue today after it was postponed yesterday due to bad weather.

The three men were members of a famo music gang which had a fight with soldiers in May at the Maseru Border Gate.
A soldier was killed while another was seriously injured. A street vendor died after being hit by a stray bullet.
It is believed soldiers kidnapped the men, strangled them to death before throwing them into the dam.

The men are alleged to have been abducted soon after they were released by the police who had been holding them in connection with the shootout.
Their families have not seen them since they disappeared in mid-May. In a desperate search for answers the families launched an urgent High Court application to compel the army to produce their sons’ bodies. The police have always suspected that the men we taken by soldiers who were seen around the police station when they were in custody.

Staff Reporter

Previous Notši braces for Bantu showdown
Next LTDC marks Tourism Day

About author

You might also like

News

Power to the people!

Staff Reporter ENERGY Minister Selibe Mochoboroane says his ministry plans to connect 30 000 households, up from last year’s 19 700, to the electricity grid. Speaking in Parliament last week, Mochoboroane said

News

Is the DC headed for a split?

Staff Reporter MASERU POLITICAL analysts say squabbles within the Democratic Congress (DC) are a clear sign of a possible split, which might lead to the collapse of the coalition government.

News

Mosito’s lawyers attack Mosisili

Staff Reporter MASERU A team of lawyers representing suspended Court of Appeal President Justice Kananelo Mosito have accused Prime Minister Pakalitha Mosisili of abusing his power and persecuting the judge.