The shock rape stats shaming Lesotho

The shock rape stats shaming Lesotho

MASERU – AT least 90 percent of all male prison inmates were in jail after they were convicted of rape, according to Gender Minister Dr Mahali Phamotse.
The survey was carried out when she was still Minister of Justice.
Phamotse said this at the Validation of the Beijing +25 Lesotho Report on Monday.
The review seeks to assess how Lesotho is progressing in its bid to achieve gender equality and empower its women.
Phamotse said it was sad that in almost every ministry she has worked, she has often come face-to-face with cases of women abuse and inequality.

“I started as the Minister of Education, and I saw reports of teachers raping their students flood in,” she said.
“I became Minister of Justice and it came to my attention that 90 percent of offenders are on sexual offence charges and now I am the Minister of Gender and the statistics are horrific.”
“This is very worrying and some level of commitment is required from all of us to put a stop to women abuse and inequality,” she said.

According to Bureau of Statistics Crime Statistics report 2016, sexual offence is number three on the chart, with house-breaking and stock theft being number one and two respectively.
According to a United Nations study conducted in 2015 Lesotho has the highest rape rate in the world, with 61 percent of women reporting having experienced sexual violence at some point in their lives.
The country had a rate of 88.6 rape cases per 100 000 inhabitants in 2011, according to a UN report.
’Mampho Letele told thepost this week that she believes that what makes it easier for the assailants to rape school girls is because most of the school yards in the country are not properly fenced.
“This makes it easier for the assailant to enter the yard without being noticed,” Letele said.

Letele said the attacker is not forced to use the same entrance and exit to school just like everyone else.
Letele said what makes it worse is that for most schools the toilets are far away from the classes.
Letele suggested the best way to offer safety is for schools to be fenced and to hire security guards.
’Matšitso Makhasane children should also be advised to walk in groups to the toilets so that if anything happens, others will be able to raise the alarm immediately.
Makhasane spoke after two young girls aged 9 and 10 were raped at gunpoint at a school in Berea last week. The girls had gone to the toilets during a short break.
The man pulled a gun and threatened to kill them if they screamed; he then took turns to rape them.
The police said they are looking for the suspect.

Police spokesman Superintendent, Mpiti Mopeli, said the man fled from the crime scene after the act.
Mopeli said in another incident, the police are looking for a 44-year-old man from Mohale’s Hoek who ran away after raping his ten-year-old daughter.
Mopeli said the investigations revealed that on April 11, the grandfather of the victim overheard her arguing with her dad in the bedroom.

The grandfather in the morning reported the argument between the daughter and the father to the village women.
The grandfather said the village women took the girl for questioning and she revealed that the argument occurred because she had resisted attempts by her father to rape her.
Superintendent Mopeli said the girl also revealed that this was not the first time her father had tried to rape her, revealing that she had been raped by her father since 2015 when she was only six years.

In a similar case, a 36-year-old man of Mohale’s Hoek fled home after raping his 15-year-old daughter.
Superintendent Mopeli said investigations revealed that the rape was known because the girl had fallen pregnant.
The victim’s mother had come over Easter holidays from South Africa when she discovered that her child was pregnant.
The girl told her mother that her father had raped and impregnated her.

Rose Moremoholo

 

Previous Mohalalitoe now on sale!
Next Generate own electricity, says Au

About author

You might also like

News

Police blame DPP for Mokhosi bail saga

MASERU – THE police this week insisted that it was the Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP) Leaba Thetsane KC who unilaterally chose not to oppose Tšeliso Mokhosi’s bail application. The

News

Faction in bid to block Mahao rally

MASERU -A turf war has ensued between the All Basotho Convention (ABC)’s warring factions over rally venues. This time they are fighting over a planned rally in Lithoteng constituency on

Local News

ETL boosts rural coverage

MASERU – ECONET Telecom Lesotho (ETL) launched the Maboloka Sehong-hong tower in Mokhotlong district on Tuesday which will boost its coverage in rural areas. The Maboloka base station will extend