Church ‘cleanses’ army

Church ‘cleanses’ army

MASERU – THE Christian Council of Lesotho (CCL) yesterday led a cleansing ceremony at the Lesotho Defence Force (LDF) headquarters following the killing of three senior army officers late last year.
Lt. General Khoantle Motšomotšo and Brig Bulane Sechele and Col Tefo Hashatsi were shot and killed at the Ratjomose barracks on September 5 last year.

CCL spokesman Khosi Makubakube said they prayed that the bloodshed that occurred at the barracks should be the last to be experienced in Lesotho.
He said the prayer should be a reflection of the type of army they want as a country.
Makubakube said the army must be apolitical.

“We were praying in honour of those who have gone,” he said.
“And their deaths should be a sacrifice that will bring Basotho nation a long lasting peace.”

He said officers from the Indian army came to train the LDF following the 1998 incidents but is seemed nothing has changed.
He said they do not want to go back to what has happened.
Makubakube said they want the new LDF boss to enter into ‘cleaned’ offices when he assumes his duties.
Lt. General Mojalefa Letsoela was appointed LDF commander earlier this month.

As part of the ceremony, the CCL laid hands on LDF command to give them power to run the military institution.
Major General Poqa Motoa, LDF Chief of Staff, appealed to the army to shun away from politics.
He said it is unconstitutional for the army to meddle in politics.

Staff Reporter

Previous Minister fumes
Next In the middle of difficulty lies opportunity

About author

You might also like

News

The ‘crazy’ story of Puseletso Seema

QEME – PUSELETSO Seema is an eloquent storyteller. You hear that in the more than 300 songs she has composed in a career of over three decades. But ask her

News

Ex-corporal wants LDF generals blocked

MASERU – A FORMER army corporal, Khoejane Makhele, wants all Lesotho Defence Force (LDF) generals blocked from serving in the commission that will implement the SADC-proposed reforms. Makhele last week told

News

‘Sex pest’ nabbed

MASERU – THE South African police is calling on women who could be victims of Mokena Nhlapho, the man accused of being a sex predator, to report to the South African