Faction in bid to block Mahao rally

Faction in bid to block Mahao rally

MASERU -A turf war has ensued between the All Basotho Convention (ABC)’s warring factions over rally venues.
This time they are fighting over a planned rally in Lithoteng constituency on Sunday.

The faction supporting the deputy leader Professor Nqosa Mahao has police permission to hold the rally in the constituency.
But the other faction, supporting leader Thomas Thabane, swears that it will do everything in its power to block the rally.
The Thabane faction says it will remove them from the rally venue.

There is a deepening crack between the ABC factions as they insist on having parallel political rallies.
The chairman of the Lithoteng constituency is denying that such a rally would be held.
Litjhoteng MP Lehlohonolo Moramotse distanced himself from the decision of the chairman of the constituency to block any rally to be held by the Prof Mahao-led faction.
He said he is yet to know the developments regarding the planned rally this week.
He told thepost last night that he has just returned from a trip and did not have any information.

The Qoaling MP who is also the Minister of Small Business, Chalane Phori, said they would back the Lithoteng constituency in their bid to block the rally.
Phori told thepost that they will not allow the rally to take place because it is against the ABC’s constitution.
“We would support them in many ways. This could be financially or we could support them by calling the police,” he said.
He said they could even go to the courts in a bid to support their neighbour.
Phori said the Mahao faction is allowed to go there but they should not wear ABC regalia because they are not representing the party.
“But I could swear that would not take place,” Phori said.

Meanwhile, the newly elected ABC chairman Samuel Rapapa maintained that they would be in Lithoteng this coming Sunday attending the rally.
He said they have been invited to the rally and therefore they are surely going to attend.
This, he said is going to take place with or without threats that are being subjected against them.
He said they are not afraid of the threats at all.

Rapapa who is also the Mosalemane MP said they have a permit that was issued on Monday this week.
And this means that their rally is legitimate because they are in possession of a valid permit.
He said Samonyane Ntsekele earlier this year asked them to stop holding the rallies but they never backed down.
“So who is the constituency chairman to stop us? We are going there and people will be attending in multitudes,” Rapapa said.

Majara Molupe

Previous ABC fights hits poverty reduction scheme
Next Judge refuses to hear case

Warning: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable in /home/thepostc/public_html/wp-content/themes/trendyblog-theme/includes/single/post-tags-categories.php on line 7

About author

You might also like

News

Ministry sued over per diems

MASERU – FOUR human resources and planning officials are suing the Ministry of Development Planning for over M89 278 which they say the ministry owes them in per diems. The quartet,

Local News

Group ramps ups pressure over SADC recommendations

Staff Reporter MASERU A civil society group, the Movement for Democracy and Development (MDD), has called on Basotho and the international community to exert pressure on the government to implement

News

Sacked teacher wins appeal

MASERU – THE Ombudsman Advocate Leshele Thoahlane has ordered that a high school teacher who was fired last year for allegedly having a sexual relationship with a student be reinstated. Motseki