Fired NSS agents win case

Fired NSS agents win case

MASERU – High Court judge, Justice Semapo Peete, on Tuesday ordered the reinstatement of 76 National Security Service (NSS) agents who were dismissed from work in December 2017.
The judge said the fired agents “should go back to work”.
However, the agents’ lawyer, Advocate Motiea Teele KC, told thepost this week that there is no need to celebrate yet because the “Third Lady” – the Court of Appeal – was still to speak on the issue.

Advocate Teele said there was still a possibility that NSS Director General Pheello Ralenkoane could appeal to the Court of Appeal.
The agents were fired in December 2017 with Ralenkoane arguing they were not qualified to serve as NSS agents as they had been trained by the military intelligence.
He said the agents were therefore posed a security risk to the institution.
The letter read in part: “In terms of Section 11(3) of NSS No. 30 of 1998 the Director General has obtained information that you are a security risk, and you may act in a way prejudicial to the security of the state.”“Your Basic Intelligence Training was conducted by Lesotho Defence Force (LDF) as opposed to NSS, thereby exposing (you) to methods and principles contrary to NSS.”
“The matter by itself compromises or threatens the operational methods and principles of the NSS,” the letter said.
These agents were recruited under former Prime Minister Pakalitha Mosisili’s coalition government.

At that time the Director-General was Lieutenant Colonel Tumo Lekhooa, who had served as the LDF Military Intelligence director before he was seconded to the NSS by Mosisili.
The opposition criticized Lieutenant Colonel Lekhooa’s appointment arguing the move was an attempt by the government to militarise the NSS.
Ralenkoane argued that the NSS wanted applicants to be between the ages of 18 and 25 with Form E qualifications, “but surprisingly some of them are over 37 years old and have extra qualifications like Masters (degrees) which exceeded our budget”.

Itumeleng Khoete

Previous Thabane’s reform indaba riles opposition
Next Mahao lashes ‘dictatorship

About author

You might also like

News

Storm over meat import ban

MASERU-THE ban on beef imports has triggered howls of protest from local meat suppliers who say the move has crippled their businesses which might force some to soon close shop.

News

End of the road for Khasu

Leisa Leisanyane MASERU – THE All Basotho Convention (ABC) party deputy leader Tlali Khasu has lost his appeal in the Court of Appeal to stop his suspension from the national

News

Knives out for Labour Court boss

MASERU – KNIVES are out for Labour Court President ‘Malebona Khabo after what appears to have been a nasty fallout with the Ministry of Labour and Employment. An investigation by