Former PS charged with fraud

Former PS charged with fraud

MASERU – FORMER Principal Secretary for the Ministry of Home Affairs, Advocate Borenahabokhethe Sekonyela, has been charged with fraud that allegedly happened when he was a civil servant. Sekonyela, 60, was not asked to plead when he appeared at the Maseru Magistrates’ Court on Monday.
He was also not remanded in custody because he is a court official. He is being charged for allegedly authorising a payment for goods that were never delivered.

The prosecution does not clarify the undelivered goods but alleges that he paid M538 000 to a company called Kananelo W Enterprise in March last year.
Sekonyela declined to comment when thepost approached him because the matter is now before the court.
According to the charge sheet, Sekonyela is charged with corruption in terms of the Prevention of Corruption and Economic Offences Act in that he abused the functions or position of his office by ordering the payment of undelivered goods.

He is also accused of violating the Treasury Regulations and Stores Regulations in the discharge of his duties “for the purpose of obtaining an undue advantage for himself and/or Kananelo W Enterprise, an entity registered under the laws of Lesotho, knowing that it was unlawful to do so”.

Sekonyela is also accused of contravening the Public Financial Management and Accountability Act.
The charge sheet says Sekonyela as the ministry’s chief accounting officer or principal secretary had the responsibility for financial control.
The goods from Kananelo W Enterprise have not reached the ministry until today, according to the prosecutor.

Staff Reporter

Previous Tears for ‘Makarabo
Next Phafane quits MKM

About author

You might also like

News

By boat and on horseback

QACHA’S NEK – Unable to get a pregnant woman across the river to the nearest hospital, midwife Teboho Phalo had the most hair-raising experience of her career – delivering a baby

News

LNDC lays out vision

MASERU – The Lesotho National Development Corporation (LNDC) outlined its vision and plans for the next five years. The outline was unveiled at the Strategic Plan 2018-2022 Stakeholders Engagement Session in

Local News

Litšiba unpacks why SMMEs collapse

Lemohang Rakotsoane MASERU SMALL Businesses Minister Thabiso Litšiba has blamed the lack of clear policies for the collapse of SMMEs. Litšiba told a press conference yesterday that lack of coordination