Mahao group sidelines Kabi

Mahao group sidelines Kabi

MASERU – THE All Basotho Convention (ABC) deputy secretary general, Nkaku Kabi, has sensationally claimed that the newly elected national executive committee was sidelining him from its activities.

Kabi, who is the MP for Qeme, was elected deputy secretary general at the party’s elective conference last month.
The new executive committee is led by Professor Nqosa Mahao. The old committee has however refused to concede defeat and is now challenging Mahao’s victory in the courts, leaving the party sharply divided.
It is however not clear where Kabi’s loyalties lie.

“It is clear they have picked up individuals. If only they had announced the meetings to me I would attend them as a member too,” he said.
A frustrated Kabi said the divisions will damage the credibility of the party in the eyes of supporters. He suggested that the two committees should sit down and iron out their differences.

“In the long run, the ABC is going to lose if we keep on dealing with the party’s issues this way,” he said.
He said their constitution clearly states that their leader is supposed to know all the meetings they are having.
Kabi said there are no consultations within his party.

He said party leader, Thomas Thabane, should also give a platform for them to negotiate.
But he said he would not pull out of the newly elected committee if courts endorse its victory.

Kabi warned his colleagues in the new NEC to stop holding clandestine meetings that have not been sanctioned by the party leader.
He said they should also stop holding meetings because there is still a pending case in the courts of law.
We have to respect the courts but the courts should also not delay to deal with cases, Kabi said.

Kabi also said he was not part of the meeting that gave attorney Nthontho the right to represent the ABC in court.
“Maybe it is part of the committee that decided that way and I should tell them that they should not leave us behind because we have to work collectively,” he said.

He said it is clear that ABC supporters have indicated who they want in the NEC adding that there is also a group that has registered its dissatisfaction through the court process.

Meanwhile, Small Businesses Minister Chalane Phori said he will not be part of people who are causing divisions in the party.
“I am waiting for courts to judge just like Mahao was given judgment to be part of the elections,” he said.
He said the elections are not yet officially closed by the leader as proof that they have been honoured.

“There is no way we could meet and appoint Nthontho Attorneys while the case is still in the courts of laws,” Phori said.
Phori is also the MP for Qoaling constituency.

He said he is part of the newly elected committee and is just waiting for the court ruling.
The Qoaling MP said Prof Mahao used the Constitution to contest the elections and so if other members question the election result, they should be allowed to enjoy the same benefits.

Phori also said he has been side-lined by the new NEC.
“I think it is because they know that I do not agree with them, we have to wait for the courts,” he said.

Nkheli Liphoto

Previous Varsity invades business space!
Next Church in fake baptismal certificate storm

About author

You might also like

Local News

DC constituency wants Litjobo reinstated

Staff Reporter MAZENOD THE Democratic Congress (DC)’s Koro-koro constituency leadership says it wants youth league president Thuso Litjobo reinstated as aide to Police Minister Monyane Moleleki. The constituency says contrary

News

Thabane meets ex-army officers

MASERU – PRIME Minister Thomas Thabane held a crisis meeting with some former army officers last Thursday to discuss ways of restoring the army’s credibility in the eyes of the

News

Diamond saga rattles Chamber of Mines

MASERU – THE Chamber of Mines says it is deeply concerned about the illegal trade of diamonds in Lesotho. The chamber is worried that the diamonds being funnelled through the black