SADC soldiers injured

SADC soldiers injured

. . . as 32-year-old woman dies in bizarre accident

MASERU – Two SADC soldiers were seriously injured in separate accidents on Sunday evening.
In Ha-Foso a 32-year-old woman died while a SADC soldier she was with got seriously injured after they were run over by a car.
In another incident a SADC soldier was hit by a car near Moshoeshoe 1 International Airport as he was walking to his base. He was admitted at Makoanyane Military Hospital.

Both soldiers are from Angola. Ha-Foso villagers who ran to the scene said the accident happened at around 11pm. The relationship between the woman and the soldier is not yet clear.

The accident occured near SADC’s military camp. The woman, whose name has been withheld, was found dead in a furrow nearby.
The 22-year-old soldier from Angola was in a nearby furrow.

Police say the villagers told them that the woman and the soldier were hit by a green Ford Bantam, driven by a woman.
There were two women in the car, according to witnesses who spoke to the police. Superintendent Mpiti Mopeli said the car was travelling from the direction of Teya-Teyaneng to Maseru.

Mopeli said the soldier was rushed to Makoanyane Military Hospital but was later transferred to Queen ’Mamohato Memorial Hospital.
The soldier has serious injuries on the feet, Mopeli said. He appealed the public to assist with any information that might lead to the arrest of the driver.

The only clue so far, Mopeli said, is that the green Ford Bantam was driven by a woman.
The Principal Secretary of the Ministry of Defence, Colonel Tanki Mothae, said the government has been informed about the incident.
Asked about the rules and regulations governing the SADC forces in the country, Col Mothae said they do not have information on the standing orders. But he mentioned that every base has its own rules and regulations.

Col Mothae also appealed to the public to help with investigations that could help in the arrest of those involved to face the long arm of the law.
Three countries from the regional bloc, Angola, Namibia and Zambia sent their troops to Lesotho in early December last year.
The SADC standby force, also known as the SADC Preventive Mission in the Kingdom of Lesotho (SAPMIL), was deployed to Lesotho on 2 December, 2017.

The standby force is made up of 217 soldiers, 15 intelligence personnel, 24 police officers and 13 civilian experts.
SADC Director of Organ on Politics, Defence and Security Affairs, Angolan Foreign Affairs Minister Jorge Cardoso pleaded with Basotho to see the troops as helpers on a mission to restore the rule of law in the Kingdom.
He appealed to Basotho not to regard them as invaders or intruders.

Majara Molupe

Previous Fireworks in Maputsoe
Next NSS agents fight back

About author

You might also like

News

Thakaso wants ‘unity government’

Staff Reporter MASERU – THE leader of a small opposition party, Whitehorse Party, Mohau Thakaso, has waded into the Lesotho political crisis. Thakaso says the solution to the current political

News

SADC army to arrive in two weeks

MASERU – A regional standby army is expected to arrive in the country within the next two weeks after the SADSC Double Troika last Friday approved Lesotho’s urgent request for

News

Tough times loom

MASERU – CONSUMERS must brace for tough times after the Lesotho Electricity Company sought a 21.3 percent tariff hike. The Water and Sewerage Company (WASCO) is seeking tariff increases of between