Senior BEDCO manager suspended

Senior BEDCO manager suspended

MASERU – A senior Basotho Enterprise Development Corporation (BEDCO) manager has been suspended to pave way for an investigation into how ten computers disappeared at the parastatal.
Pesha Shale, the Head of Enterprise Development, was suspended on September 6.

The ten computers worth M134 400 disappeared from BEDCO’s offices in May but the matter was not reported to the police until August.
BEDCO received the computers in August last year to help the youths in the districts to submit their business proposals under the Promoting Enterprise Development (PED) programme’s Business Plan Competition.
BEDCO is managing the competition, funded by the African Development Bank (AfDB), with technical support from the government’s Economic Diversification Support Project (EDSP).

The competition is meant to identify young and innovative entrepreneurs who cannot implement their ideas due to a lack of funding.
Shale is not accused of theft but dereliction of duty in that he did not immediately file a police report when the computers were discovered missing.
Last night Shale told thepost that he was reluctant to discuss the issue with the media.

Mpoi Lebakeng, the BEDCO’s Communications and Stakeholder Engagement Manager, confirmed the suspension.
“What I can confirm is that he has been suspended but I cannot give further details pending a disciplinary hearing,” Lebakeng said.
“Investigations on the missing computers are ongoing and we are liaising with the police.”

Last month Shale told thepost the computers were kept in the Enterprises Development Manager’s office.
He said it took nine months to discover the computers were missing because “they were kept in boxes in one office and we assumed that they were still in those boxes”.

“We only discovered that the boxes were empty when we wanted to distribute the computers in May,” Shale said, adding that they suspect they disappeared when the office’s roof was being repaired for a leak.
He said the delay in filing a police report was “caused by some communication issues that include the absence of a security manager.”
The principal secretary in the Ministry of Small Business Development, Advocate Bereng Makotoko, has said he wants “to get to the bottom of this issue and the culprit should face the full wrath of the law”.

Staff Reporter

Previous DC wants death sentence implemented
Next Blow for ABC as MP defects

Warning: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable in /home/thepostc/public_html/wp-content/themes/trendyblog-theme/includes/single/post-tags-categories.php on line 7

About author

You might also like

News

Help at last

ROMA – STANDARD Lesotho Bank and Habitat for Humanity Lesotho joined hands to build a house for a man who has been suffering from arthritis man for three decades. Makhaola

News

‘Full-swing’ teachers’ strike next week

MASERU – FIREBRAND Lesotho Association of Teachers (LAT) spokesman Letsatsi Ntsibolane says the teachers’ strike will be in full swing on Monday. The teachers’ unions and the government have been locked

News

Jobs carnage in factories

MASERU – THE Covid-19 pandemic has triggered a jobs carnage in textile factories with over 18 600 employees losing their jobs in the first quarter of 2020.That is according to