Connect with us

News

’Maesaiah granted bail

Published

on

MASERU – FIRST Lady ’Maesaiah Thabane was last night granted bail under what some lawyers have described as controversial circumstances.
A few hours earlier a forlorn-looking ’Maesaiah Thabane had appeared in the magistrates’ court charged with the murder of Prime Minister Thomas Thabane’s wife, Lipolelo Thabane, in 2017.

She was also charged with the attempted murder of Thato Sibolla who was in the same car with Lipolelo Thabane when she was murdered Ha-Masana.
Clad in a dark pink seshoeshoe dress, ’Maesaiah made a wry smile as the magistrate read the charges. She looked calm and collected, as if unfazed by the serious charges she faced.

Occasionally, she would look straight into the gallery so packed that some people had to sit on the floor.
’Maesaiah did not look anything like the woman who had been on the police’s most wanted list and had been in hiding for three weeks.
She glowed in perfect make-up as if she had not spent the previous night in a dingy police holding cell. She was remanded in custody until February 18 and was told to apply for bail at the High Court.
What followed was dramatic.

After a four-hour lull, her impending bail application started filtering in. Advocate Rethabile Setlojoane filed the application at around 4pm and the police quickly filed a notice of motion to oppose.
From the High Court registry the matter landed on Assistant Registrar Advocate Tebello Mokhoema who allocates cases to judges.

A few minutes later Acting Chief Justice ’Maseforo Mahase was presiding over the application in her chambers.
Justice Keketso Moahloli who was the judge on duty did not see the file nor was he informed about it, according to several sources.
The crown’s and the police’s lawyers are said to have pleaded with Justice Mahase to give them time, as is normal procedure, to prepare their case and file their answering affidavit but she would have none of it.

Instead she said ’Maesaiah had made a compelling argument that she had a doctor’s appointment in South Africa today and she had voluntarily handed herself over to the police.
This was despite the fact that the police and the crown arguing that she had proven to be a flight risk after fleeing on January 10 when she was asked to come in for further questioning.

Under normal circumstances the crown and the police should have been granted an opportunity to file written arguments opposing bail. This is especially so in murder cases where bail is usually granted under exceptional circumstances.

It’s a process that normally takes two to three days as the crown files its answering affidavit and the applicant files a replying affidavit before both sides submit their heads of argument for the judge to hear the case in an open court.

Justice Mahase heard ’Maesaiah’s case in her chambers without the crown filing its answering affidavit. In the end she granted ’Maesaiah a M1 000-bail with what some lawyers see as extremely gentle conditions.
Unlike other murder suspects who are asked to surrender their travel documents, ’Maesaiah gets to keep her passport.

The condition to report to the police once a month was the only variation Justice Majara made to what ’Maesaiah’s lawyer had requested. The lawyer was arguing that she should report to the police once every six months. The court did not demand surety like in the majority of murder cases.
Why the case ended with Justice Mahase instead of Justice Moahloli, who was on duty, depends on who you speak to at the Palace of Justice.

Advocate Mokhoema told thepost there was nothing contentious about the allocation. She said some time back the Chief Justice issued an instruction that if a bail application is opposed it should be taken straight to her.
“There is a similar directive on high profile cases,” Advocate Mokhoema said last night. But another assistant registrar said that “directive” is no longer being followed because it is at odds with the Administration of Justice Act.

“The ideal situation is that the judge on duty should hear all urgent applications filed during his shift,” said an assistant registrar who added that he is baffled by the way the case was handled.
“It cannot be correct that there is a special route for so-called high profile cases. Such a special treatment is at variance with the laws of justice which say we are all equal in the eyes of the law,” he said.

“Even the directive that every opposed case should be seen by the chief justice is odd and its application doesn’t seem to be consistent with the law.”
’Maesaiah’s friends and supporters were celebrating her freedom at the State House last night.
Cars hooters bellowed amid a cacophony of whistles that pierced the night.

The bail was rare sweet news in what has been a chaotic four weeks for the First Lady and those in her circle.
But as they jumped for joy some lawyers were huddled in a Maseru office as they combed through law books for a way to appeal the bail judgement.

thepost has it on good authority that the appeal might be filed either today or tomorrow but that depends on them finding the legal hook on which to hang their application.
One High Court insider described the judgement as an “aberration that should not be allowed to stand”.

Staff Reporter

 

Continue Reading
Advertisement

News

Mahao, PS in big fight

Published

on

PRIME Minister Sam Matekane this week summoned the Basotho Action Party (BAP) executive committee in a bid to defuse simmering tensions within the party.
This comes amid fears that Professor Nqosa Mahao’s fallout with his principal secretary at the Ministry of Energy, Tankiso Phapano, could threaten the unity in the BAP and the government’s stability.

thepost can reveal that Mahao has hinted that he would resign if Matekane doesn’t fire or reassign Phapano.

But there are strong indications that Mahao doesn’t enjoy the backing of his executive committee and MPs in his fight with Phapano.

Inside sources this week told thepost that some members of the BAP’s executive committee and MPs are openly siding with Phapano and have been secretly lobbying Matekane to reshuffle Mahao from the Ministry of Energy to Sports.

A source said Mahao is aware of these manoeuvres, including a clandestine meeting in Maputsoe, and has said he would rather resign than be the subject of a humiliating reshuffle instigated by people he leads.

The source of the bad blood between Mahao and Phapano is not clear but it is understood that they have disagreed over tenders and the ministry’s direction.

The source said Matekane was first briefed of the running battles at the ministry some three weeks ago just as matters were coming to a head.

It is the second briefing which revealed a complete breakdown in the relationship that triggered Matekane’s meeting with the BAP’s executive committee and MPs on Monday.

Three people who were in that meeting said Matekane told the BAP officials to deal with the crisis before it affected the ministry and threatened the coalition government’s stability.

The BAP’s executive committee, including MPs and Mahao, then had a marathon meeting to discuss ways to make peace between Mahao and Phapano.

A source who was in that meeting said “it was clear to Mahao that the majority of the committee and the MPs were on Phapano’s side”.

“Mahao quickly realised that he did not have the backing of the majority and took a conciliatory approach. It was clear that the committee would rather have him resign than get Phapano removed from the ministry,” the source said.

“In the past Mahao had flatly refused to reconcile with Phapano because of seniority. But this time he appeared to be open to a meeting to discuss reconciliation.”

Both Mahao and Phapano told thepost last night that their relationship was still cordial. ‘“We are still in good books with Phapano until further notice,” Mahao said.

“However, we cannot predict the future.”

Mahao denied ever discussing Phapano’s dismissal or transfer with Matekane.

Phapano also insisted that he was working well with Mahao.

“We are still on good terms,” Phapano said, adding that the allegation that they were fighting was “baseless”.

The fallout between Mahao and Phapano has been quick and spectacular.

The two had been almost inseparable months before Mahao agreed to join the coalition government.

Phapano would use his car to drive Mahao around. They would attend party meetings together. Some party insiders saw Phapano as Mahao’s right-hand man and adviser.

Mahao allegedly strongly pushed for Phapano to be appointed as his principal secretary when he became energy minister.

But sources said Mahao started having second thoughts days after recommending Phapano and tried to get his appointment reversed but it was too late.

A source says within weeks Mahao was telling cabinet colleagues that Phapano had captured the ministry and he was unable to function as the minister.

“He started pushing to oust Phapano within days because they were already clashing. It’s been war from the first days,” said the source.

Staff Reporter

Continue Reading

News

How chicken import ban hit vendors

Published

on

MALESHOANE Pakela used to work at small backyard chicken farms where she was paid with chicken heads, necks, legs, and offals that she would roast and sell to factory workers at the Thetsane Industrial Area.

Her job was to clean and pack chicken.
The profit wasn’t much but just enough for the 37-year-old widow to feed and keep her four children in school.

“It also covered her monthly rental of M150 for a room in Ha-Tsolo Sekoting.

Her life was however shattered last October when the government imposed a ban on chicken imports from South Africa following an outbreak of bird flu.
Without day-old chicks the farms quickly shut down, cutting Pakela’s supply of heads, necks, legs, and offals.
Within a few days, her family was starving.

Pakela had been struggling even for months before the ban. The closure of the factories and retrenchments of thousands of workers has severely hit her sales. She was behind on her rent and could barely feed her children.

The partial lifting of the chicken ban has not helped Pakela because her former employers still cannot import day-old chicks or live birds.
Pakela and a family were kicked out of their rented room in November when their arrears were about M1 000.
She has found another room nearby.

A ‘Good Samaritan’ has allowed her to use a room for free until she can afford the rent. But Pakela says she still feels obliged to pay something because she understands that things are hard for everyone.

“Here the rent is still M150 but the landlord accepts every amount that I give her,” Pakela says.
There are days when her children go to bed hungry.

“I have told them (children) that if I have nothing they should accept (the status).”

She now survives on handouts from neighbours and other well-wishers. Pakela’s poverty is apparent.

Barefoot and holding her small child in a seshoeshoe dress, Pakela says her two children usually go to school without eating.
The other child has dropped out of school because she doesn’t have shoes.

’Mako Lepolesa, 44, who has been running a chesanyama (meat grill) at the Maseru West Industrial Estate since 2018. The father of three says his clients are mainly taxi drivers and factory workers.

Chicken was her main product until last October when the ban was imposed. It wasn’t long before his business started wobbling.

“I thought it would be just a short-lived problem (chicken import ban) but it passed on this year,” he says, adding that it might take months for his business to recover.
Moshe Ramashamole, 42, who also owns a chesanyama in the Maseru West Industrial Estate, tried to remain in business by sourcing chicken from local farmers.

It was a stopgap measure that however lasted a few weeks because the farmers also ran out of stock. He resorted to bad chicken but they were double the price of a full chicken before the ban.
Yet Ramashamole thought he could make it work by increasing the price of his plate from M35 to M55. The customers however resisted the new price and Ramashamole had to take the losses.

The poultry ban did not affect street vendors like Pakela alone.
Former Minister of Communications, Khotso Letsatsi, is one of those poultry farmers struggling following the chicken ban.

He ventured into poultry in January last year. It was an audacious venture that included a M100 000 investment in a shelter and other equipment.
He started with a batch of 300 chicks and had reached 1 000 by the time the ban was imposed.

“The business was lucrative,” Letsatsi says.

“I had to employ two people permanently to assist me on a full-time basis,” he says.

When it was time to slaughter the chickens, Letsatsi says he had to employ seven casual labourers.
Since the ban was imposed he had released all his workers.

“I do not know where they are now. Maybe they are starving,” he says of the workers he released.

Letsatsi doesn’t know how he will revive his business.
The Director of Marketing in the Ministry of Agriculture and Food Security (MAFS), Lekhooe Makhate, says the ban has been devastating to farmers and businesses.

“Some big businesses are going to declare less tax to the government because there was no business,” Makhate says.

He says Lesotho spends M2.1 billion on the importation of chicken and its products from South Africa every year.
But that amount usually soars to M4 billion depending on the market forces of demand and supply.

Makhate says the M2.1 billion goes to South Africa where the chicken and its products are imported.

At the height of the scarcity of chickens in the country, Makhate says people were supposed to make initiatives to travel to villages to search for chickens.

“There is not enough production of chickens in the country,” he says.
“Economically speaking we rely on South Africa. We have to be self-reliant.”

Majara Molupe

Continue Reading

News

Letseng fends off threat to sue

Published

on

LETŠENG Diamond says it is under no obligation to advertise jobs for Basotho to provide certain services “where it has the capacity to undertake the same services”.
Letšeng Diamond boss, Motooane Thinyane, was responding to a threat to sue by a little-known political party called Yearn for Economic Sustainability (YES).

Matekane’s company, the Matekane Mining Investment Company (MMIC), had been providing blasting, haulage and drilling services at Letšeng mine since 2005.
The deal with the MMIC was terminated in December last year with the mining company saying it was improper because Matekane had now become a politician.

Letšeng Diamonds announced that it had reached an agreement with the MMIC to acquire its mining equipment at the mine and offered employment to its current employees in line with operational requirements.

“This will enable Letšeng to continue with its mining activities,” the company said in its statement.

This infuriated opposition parties that argued that the mine should have called interested Basotho companies to bid for the contract, saying it is provided for in the Minerals Act of 2005.

The leader of Yearn for Economic Sustainability (YES), Molefi Ntšonyana, wrote the mine last week threatening to sue for allegedly failing to follow section 11 of the Act.
Ntšonyana argued that the Act “does not grant the Letšeng Diamond 100 percent to mine with its good own equipment” but it should engage Basotho companies like it did with the MMIC.

Ntšonyana said Letšeng Diamond and the MMIC made the agreement to acquire the MMIC equipment so that the mine could continue with its mining activities “without any advertisement to seek qualified Basotho to provide such services”.

Ntšonyana said the agreement unilaterally denied Basotho a chance to tender for such services and ignored the fact that the government of Lesotho on behalf of Basotho own 30 percent in the Letšeng Diamond.

“It is advisable to reconsider your decision,” Ntšonyana said, adding that they would also write to the mining board requesting the resolution they made regarding this matter of insourcing mining activities.

He said the company should adhere to section 11 of the Mines and Minerals Act of 2005 and within 14 working days the matter should be reconsidered, “failing which we will have no choice but to drag the company to the courts of law”.

In his response, Thinyane said Ntšonyana must “revisit the section in question in full for its correct interpretation”.

“Letšeng Diamond is under no obligation to advertise to seek qualified Basotho to provide services where it is willing and has the capacity to undertake the same services,” Thinyane said.

He said the decision relating to the agreement referred to has been through the necessary governance structures and is therefore procedural.
Thinyane said Letšeng is a corporate citizen that is fully compliant with the laws of Lesotho.

Majara Molupe

Continue Reading
Advertisement

ADVERTISEMENT

Advertisement
Advertisement

Trending